- September 19, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Raccoon Pest Prevention, Residential Pest Control
The most important step that you can take in order to keep your home raccoon free is making sure that it is secure from future intrusions. At Star Pest Control, we understand the negative effects raccoons can have on your home. That is why we offer Langley residential pest control services, as well as raccoon damage protection tips in order to help you keep your home raccoon free.
Signs of Raccoon Damage to Your Langley Home
There are certain signs that you can keep an eye out for when it comes to raccoon damage on your home that will help you make the best decisions for reclaiming your home, as well as preventing the return of any unwanted visitors. Signs of raccoon damage in your home and yard include:
- Damage to areas in the attic, such as flattened insulation, flexible ducts that have been ripped apart, and chewed wiring.
- Torn soffits under eaves, broken or chewed eave fascia boards, roof shingles torn away near vents, or broken attic vents.
- Droppings found in a central location on the roof or inside the attic.
- Lots of holes in the lawn or mulch pile.
- Empty bird feeders.
Preventing Raccoon Damage
Raccoons, like most other wild animals, are capable of taking advantage of even the most minor structural weakness to chew, scratch, and squeeze their way into your home. There are several preventative measures that you can take in order to discourage raccoons from choosing your home as a den site.
Food is usually the main reason that raccoons set up in your house because, if there is a food source nearby, the raccoons will not have to travel very far in order to eat. Some of the food sources around the neighbourhood that will attract raccoons include garbage, bird feeders, and pet food.
In order to reduce or eliminate food sources for raccoons, you should:
- Keep garbage in a secure trashcan with a thick lid and a weight or pressure straps on top.
- Install baffles on bird feeder poles to prevent raccoons from climbing them.
- Install a tray on bird feeder poles to prevent any dropped seeds.
- Try to keep bird feeders away from trees or structures.
- Bring in any outdoor pet food at night.
- Cut back trees from your home to prevent roof access.
- Apply metal flashings to wooden beams and house corners to prevent climbing.
Raccoon Pest Control Services from Star Pest Control
Every house is different, which is why it is important to have your home inspected by an experienced professional. A trained pest control professional will be able to recognize potential points of entry, as well as secure your home from future pest problems. At Star Pest Control, we offer raccoon removal services that can help remove raccoons from your home for good.